A historical relationship between Bath and Shariki village, now part of Tsugaru City, has grown into a sister-city relationship between the two communities and a sister-state relationship between Maine and the Aomori region of Japan.
Every year since 1990, students from the Bath and Tsugaru areas participate in an overseas exchange to better understand each other’s culture. Bath has the longest-running sister-city exchange program in the State of Maine. The program welcomes new members, sponsors, volunteers and interested travelers, so please invite your friends!
The Bath-Tsugaru program is an official non-profit organization with a Board of Directors and membership base, and works closely with Regional School Unit 1 and the City of Bath. In 2010, a Coordinator position was added to support the program.
Please contact our Program Coordinator, Jen Jones, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Elizabeth Cole, independent educator — Interim President
- Mike McDermott, Bowdoin College — Vice President
- VACANT — Treasurer
- Jason Morin, Maine Maritime Museum — Recording Secretary
- Marc Meyers, City of Bath
- Anita G. Mantais-Lyon, L.L.Bean
- Megan Fuller, RSU1 Board Chair
- Timothy Harkins, RSU1
- Yvette Alexandrou, Dogs at Work